This Page

has been moved to new address

Lessons Learned

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Manderz Musings: Lessons Learned

Manderz Musings

Live.Laugh.Love

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Lessons Learned

Working at the vet clinic has taught me a very important lesson - I do not have grace under fire, I do not handle pressure and stress well, I am not the ideal person for a fast-paced environment.  My pulse speeds up, my shoulders creep up towards my ears, I run around like a chicken with its head cut off, I forget what I'm supposed to do, I say stupid things (today's example: "You need to bring your dog in ASAP....Yes, he could die if you don't bring him in ASAP." For the record, the dog ate 2 boxes of chocolate.  However, who says ASAP?  And really, there are much nicer ways to tell a person that their pet's condition is potentially fatal without appropriate and timely care (like that way perhaps?!)).

However, I have also learned that some things I do that I see as nothing special, don't go unnoticed by others.  Such as my knack for filing.  To me, it's just a natural ability since I've worked in a library for 5 years, 3 of which was spent shelving books.  Alphabetizing just comes natural.  As does picking out the files (or books) that are incorrectly placed.  Or are missing labels.  I just can't help noticing these things.  I'm detail-oriented like that.  It's the same with finding grammatical and spelling errors.  My supervisor at the vet clinic today commented on how they're going to miss my filing when I leave.  Turns out I've helped them catch up from when they were understaffed.

When I'm job hunting, I think these are facts I should be keeping at the back of my mind.  If I could find someplace that's not high-pressure and fast-paced, I'd do a lot better.  And if there's a mess of filing system, bring it on.  Sometimes it's hard to get facts like this out ahead of time though.  Especially since everyone has their own opinions that influence how they see everything.

Tonight I am chugging away on green tea.  And I even through in an entire glass of water.  This is very strange for me.  Perhaps it is the cold weather.  And if that is the case, then Fort McMurray will do wonders for my body.  Because I don't drink anywhere near enough water.  I don't notice any effects, but that's probably because I don't re-hydrate myself often enough so notice anything different other than the much more frequent bathroom usage.

Last night I did not blog because I went to bed for 9pm, with lights out less than 30 minutes later.  It was fantastic.  If I had turned on my laptop, it would have been closer to 11pm before I hit the hay.  that's just the way it works.  I'm hoping for 10:30pm tonight.  Even though technically I'm getting up an hour earlier tomorrow.  I picked up a short morning shift (7-11am) at the vet before my library shift (12-5pm).  Because I do feel guilty for leaving.  And I want to help out where I can.  And honestly, the money wouldn't hurt right now with the current job uncertainty.

It's funny though.  I can't get up for an 8am class.  But an 8am start at work every Saturday hasn't been all that difficult.  Maybe it's the one day a week thing.  I don't know.  But the last 7am start I did wasn't overly difficult either.  So I'm thinking motivation has a lot to do with it.  Living with Jason is definitely going to help with my mornings.  Mainly in that I'll be going to bed earlier.  Like 10pm early.  Every work night at the very least.  Perhaps I'll become slightly less night-owlish and slightly more morning-birdish.  I mean, an owl is a bird, so it shouldn't be too difficult a switch....right?!

I'm feeling much more positive.  It's a great feeling.

My computer is being stupid.  Windows isn't working.  But my writer, and internet are working just fine.  Well, I should say my internet was working fine.  But that has stopped now too.  Only a matter of days left with this laptop.  Which means I need to transfer everything over again.  That's always the annoying part.  My dad was able to install Sims 2 on my other laptop though.  Which is fantastic.

2 Comments:

At December 14, 2008 at 9:03 AM , Blogger Mrs. Alston said...

i bet your sleep schedule does change. As soon as Booker and I lived together, we were always in bed by 10pm. I used to be such a night owl. when we were dating we'd be up to the wee hours of the morning, and i'd make to my early morning class...now I have no idea how i did it, if i go to bed much later then 10, i feel the effects!! i'm so lame!

 
At December 16, 2008 at 3:28 AM , Blogger The Jensens said...

and if that doesnt change your sleep schdule. Have a little 'rooster', that will have you in bed by 10pm ;)
Sounds like you are embarking on quite a adventure!!! fun!! pack warm clothes!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home