This Page

has been moved to new address

Lots Done, Lots Left To Do

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Manderz Musings: Lots Done, Lots Left To Do

Manderz Musings

Live.Laugh.Love

Monday, January 26, 2009

Lots Done, Lots Left To Do

I had today off work.  I even managed to get a bunch of things done on my to do list.  Actually, I felt like I accomplished a lot today.  However, I feel like I have tons left to do.

Tomorrow is laundry day.  Only having 2 days to do laundry is turning into a logistical nightmare with our schedule.  We can only get 2 loads done a night – 3 if we put in one that doesn't need to go in the dryer.  Jason needs to have all of his stuff washed both days.  That alone makes me happy I have as many clothes as I do.  If I miss a week of laundry, I'm still ok.  Not in great shape for a full work week, but it's doable.  So tomorrow morning, I have to get up, sort the laundry, write out instructions, and then get ready for work.  If I'm up early enough, I can put a load in before I go to work.

I wish we had more space.  Then I could hang up the majority of the clothes to dry like I did when living with my parents.  We could get 3 or 4 loads done a night that way.  Really, it's the dryer (well, the signal at the end of the cycle) that's causing the most problems.  We're trying not to wake the baby upstairs if we can help it.  And that buzzer is L-O-U-D.

I'm finding I really need to plan ahead for everything.  Which is a habit I'm still trying to form.  So I'm going to get Jason to sort his dirty laundry before it goes in a hamper like I do with mine.  He didn't want to before, but I'm sick of sorting his laundry every laundry day.  We don't have the time to do our clothes separately, and I refuse to throw all my clothes together in one load (regardless of colour, material, etc).  I'm thinking I will put instructions on the individual hampers too, then I can just leave a list of what goes on in what order.  :-)

Tonight, I did 15 minutes of dishes.  I didn't finish.  And I'm okay with that.  I wasn't going to do any, but then they just pile up.  Actually, I'm amazed that we use the amount of dishes that we do.  That sink fills up so fast, and the counters even faster.  Anyways, I said I'd do 15 minutes, get what I could done, and be happy with that.  And I cleared up enough space to put the dish drainer down so I didn't have to dry.

That dish drainer is rather annoying though.  It's incredibly flimsy, and it doesn't really work well with the plates and bowls we have.  Perhaps I shouldn't complain since I didn't have to buy it, but if it was a bit better designed, and had a utensil cup, I think it would make doing dishes that much easier.

I'm finding it really hard to go to bed early.  After Jason goes to bed between 9:30 and 10, I just feel like there's so much that still needs to be done.  And I'd say it's definitely one of my more productive times.  I'm not very motivated to do anything when I get up in the morning, and after work, I just want to sit back and relax for a bit.  I've been trying to develop new routines, but nothing seems to work.  I get less done, or I absolutely hate doing it (rather than not really minding at all).  Honestly, doing dishes the other night right after dinner was anything but enjoyable, while doing them tonight at 10:30pm wasn't a big deal at all.  I wouldn't have minded finishing them actually, I just wanted to get some other stuff done too.

Living on my own is great, but you begin to realize just how much there is to be done.  And I have to say, I enjoy cooking a lot less than I did before I moved out (which wasn't all that much).  Whenever I go to the grocery store, I'm always looking for cheap meals that require little work.  Tonight I made chicken with pasta and sauce.  I wanted pasta for a change.  But the half hour it took was just way too much.  Last night I had a PB&J wrap.  5 minutes of prep, and just as enjoyable.

I'm definitely not eating a whole lot of fruit or veggies.  I'll throw some peppers into a dish when I can.  Or slice up some cucumbers on a plate (which I really like eating actually).  But that's about it.  I bought a head of lettuce – but most of it went bad because I don't have a swirly dryer thing, and I'm just too lazy to figure out another way to wash and dry it.  I've been trying to drink some V8 V-Fusion every day – with a serving of fruit and a serving of vegetables, I figure it's better than nothing.  If there were decent fresh strawberries or fresh raspberries I'd probably be eating a lot of those, but it's the wrong season.  There just aren't that many fruits or veggies that require little preparation that I like eating.  And while I've looked for frozen veggies, there's not a lot of room in the freezer, and the stores where I've been haven't had any edible (by my standards at least) mixes.

That's my rant/confession.

Signature

1 Comments:

At January 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

Here are my easy pasta dishes:
Both are really easy (I can make them!) And they don't take too much time to make - once you make them a few times you can whip them up in only a few extra minutes. And they are yummy!

First: Pasta Fasta
Start in the morning -
1. slice a bunch of grape or cherry tomatoes in half (I skip this step because I hate tomatoes)
2. chop up/ smoosh up a bunch of garlic (personal preference dictates how much you want, I use a maybe 2 cloves).
3. slice up some basil (you can buy little packs of fresh basil in grocery stores, I use half a pack)
4. toss together in a bowl, swirl some EVOO on top, put in the fridge and let it marinate over the course of the day. (If you don't do it in the morning, its fine if you just do it 20 minutes before you cook the pasta)
5. Cook pasta (not the long kinds, the shorter ones work better) according to directions.
6. put the drained pasta back in the pot and put the tomato/EVOO mixture over it.
7. Add some (again personal preference, but more=better!) mozzarella cheese. The pasta is still warm so the cheese melts and it gets all gooey and yummy. I also add some sliced up ham as some protein.
Leftovers are delicious! And really yummy cold!


Second: Garlic Pasta:
1. Chop up tonnes of garlic - like half a bulb. (personal preferences, my cousin uses a whole bulb for a three/four person meal)
2. I don't know the technical term for this next part, but you put the garlic in a pan with tonnes of EVOO and cook it. Add red pepper flakes and dried basil.
3. Cook pasta. Ultimately you want the garlic to be ready at the same time as the pasta.
4. Add the garlic stuff to the pasta. And enjoy.


Ultimately, cooking good tasting meals that are healthy are going to take some time. I think (if you can find time in your busy life) if you plan your meals a week in advance then you will be able to use all your food before it goes bad. And it should help optimize the limited time you have in the evenings. That way you don't stand in front of the cupboard thinking about what to make for 10 minutes!

Sorry for the novel and the unsolicited advice.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home