This Page

has been moved to new address

Let's Talk

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Manderz Musings: Let's Talk

Manderz Musings

Live.Laugh.Love

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Let's Talk

I wrote my first midterm this week in my Interpersonal Skills class.  It came up almost as a surprise - time sure does fly by quickly.  At first I was in an absolute panic as I was behind on my reading.  However, I was able to get enough studying in that I felt confident writing the test.  Now it's just a matter of waiting for results, and studying for next week's midterm.  I also have a four page paper to write, which is definitely going to put my writing skills to the test.  This is going to be the first paper I've attempted since high school (aka in over three years).

My 101 in 1,001 list is coming along.  I now have 65 goals.  It feels as though I've hit a wall now though, as I've been struggling to come up with more.  Perhaps I will start reading other people's lists in an attempt to come up with some more ideas for my own.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'm definitely open to hearing them.  Ideally, I'd like to finish the list by the end of October - just in time for NaBloPoMo.

Right now I am watching Ghost Hunters.  I love this show.

Today I convinced Jason to come shopping with me.  Barely, but he came.  I bought some winter boots, a new pair of shoes for work, some turtlenecks and a pair of work pants.  A month ago, I was in the mindset that I didn't need to buy any new clothes for work - I have tons.  And yet, I realized I need more sweaters.  I am always cold, and I need more options.  As for pants, I've lost eight pounds in the past two months.  Not necessarily intentionally, but it happened, and my pants are a bit loose because of it.  So I found a really cute pair at Ricki's, and they are long enough for me to wear with heels.  That in itself is impressive, as I usually wear a 33"-34" inseam with flats or runners, so I need at least a 36" for heels.  But Ricki's 34" inseam seems to be the perfect length.  Yay!!  Because I love my heels, and I dislike how limited my options become in winter (most of my pants aren't long enough).

I finally pulled out my Wii for a workout today.  It's been disgustingly long since I've had a true workout.  The only person to blame is myself, and I'm determined to put a change to it.  My muscles have been feeling tight, so I'm going to be fitting in some yoga this next week for sure.  I was expecting to feel exhausted after, but it was energizing.  If I can remember that feeling, it will definitely be useful in keeping me motivated.

Green Peace has been quite active in my area lately.  And I have to say, while I respect that they're trying to bring about change, I don't agree with the way they are approaching it.  Neither the trespassing and attempting to put a stop to work through unsafe practices, nor the fact that they seem to be putting the blame solely on the tar sands.  When I moved here, I found out a lot of positive actions that the companies are taking to reduce their impact on the environment.  For me, the most interesting was that every piece of land that is used will eventually be "reclaimed", and returned to it's previous natural state.  I've been to one of these reclaimed areas, and they're some of the most beautiful places in the area (in my opinion).  At the end of the day, I think the best approach is the reduce society's consumption of the products - make us less dependent.  Because let's face it, if the world abruptly stopped producing oil, the results would be disastrous.  What do you think? 





2 Comments:

At October 12, 2009 at 8:01 AM , Anonymous Mertle the Turtle said...

Well technically the government requires the firms to reclaim the land, and once they're satisfied they get a reclemation certificate. That's not new.

That said, Green Peace needs to consider the fact that while the tar sands aren't pretty, the alternative of relying on the OPEC nations for oil is much worse. Giving those fruit loops money to fund nuclear power plants so they can bomb each other- and us- is very undesirable. In the 1970's there was a world oil crisis because they cut everyone off just for fun. Nations who promote violence against women, children, and anyone who can't defend themselves are much for of a 'pollutant' than the tar sands.

 
At October 12, 2009 at 11:45 PM , Blogger Mandy said...

More interesting facts I never knew. You're always such a wealth of information. Perhaps I will pick your brains before I attempt to write another semi-informational post. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home