This Page

has been moved to new address

Apples and Ink

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Manderz Musings: Apples and Ink

Manderz Musings

Live.Laugh.Love

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Apples and Ink

My dearest cousin Jessica suggested I write about tattoos for one of my posts this month.  So I figured, let's do it right away.  As a bonus, I have pictures for this one (albeit old ones).

I am a huge fan of tattoos.  On other people, and on myself.  It was a never a question for me whether I would get one, it was simply a question of when.  I can remember planning what I would get back in elementary school.  That interest has only grown with time.

For some people, getting inked is something to be approached with a lot of thought.  It is after all, something you will carry on you forever (disregarding laser removal of course).  They put thought into finding a design that they will like for years to come.  This was part of the reason I started planning so young.  I felt if I wanted the same thing for long enough, it meant I would continue to like it.

And yet, my first tattoo was not one of those well-thought out designs.  I went with my friend Kaylee.  We both wanted something small.  We chose the shop based on the fact we could walk-in without an appointment.  I felt really nervous at first.  Two young women in a shop with 4+ tattoo covered men.  But I was way too excited for it to last.  This was it, I was finally getting something I'd dreamed of for years.  My choice was a hibiscus flower.  I brought in the drawing myself (already shrunk to the exact size I wanted).  A small tattoo, on my right hip.  It was nowhere near as painful as I expected.  More of a prickly itch.  It only took 15 minutes.  Possibly less.


If I remember correctly, Kaylee's tattoo is Chinese for perseverance.
This was taken the moment we were allowed to take the bandages off.  We were so giddy.

Now I don't know if I would go so far as to say I "love" this tattoo.  But I still really like it, and I definitely don't regret getting it.  Especially since when I really look at it, it reminds me of Kaylee, and brings back some great memories.

That was in August of 2006.  A mere 2 1/2 months later, I got my 2nd tattoo.  This one was not planned.  At all.  In fact, it all happened because of a trip to get Malyssa's belly button pierced.  Which we did.  While we were waiting for her to get in the room, we were flipping through a portfolio of tattoos.  Discussing what we liked and didn't like.  Malyssa said it would be cool to get a tattoo behind her ear one day.  Being the person I am (evidently, an idea stealer), I said I loved it. I wanted it.  Right away.  I asked the tattoo artist in that shop, but he made some b.s. excuse about not having the supplies to do it.  So after the piercing, off we trekked to my favourite tattoo shop.  And got my astrological sign, Aries, tattooed behind my left ear.  It hurt even less than my hip tattoo.  To this day, I love it.  Yes, love.



I happened to be getting the majority of my piercings at this time as well.  A grand total of 13 at one point.  But that's a whole other story.  Maybe.

I wanted another tattoo right away.  They're very addictive like that.  But this time, I wanted something bigger.  Which meant more expensive.  So I held off, and planned, and waited.  A year later, I got my 3rd tattoo.  This time, at a different studio.  I selected my artist with care (and an eye on my pocketbook).  For a change, I booked an appointment, left a couple pages of ideas with the artist, and waited for D-Day to come.  This tattoo was on my lower back, a tramp stamp if you prefer.  It was not a pleasant hour.  When he went over my spine, my whole body would vibrate.  A rather unsettling feeling.  The worst was the sides of my back.  They hurt.  I tried to think about anything else.  An hour and a bit later, and it was done.


This tattoo means a lot to me.  One of my "lifelong" plans was to get butterflies.  Being able to get something I'd dreamed about for so long was fantastic.  The words are my motto.  It's hard to see in this picture, but the butterflies have blue (my favourite colour) and green, which is a combination I think is beautiful.

Two years have passed since I was last inked.  I've been wanting more tattoos almost constantly the entire time.  But my next one, I want to be big.   Probably down the side of my ribs.  I know the design I want too - it's based on a t-shirt my brother got me for Christmas a few years ago.  A wave of water, with a koi swimming upstream, and lots of flowers.  Very colourful.  When I will get this, I don't know yet.  It will be on my 101 in 1, 001 list though.  So sometime in the next 3 years for sure.

After that, well we'll see.  Tattoos are to me, what scrapbooking is to other people.  A chance to leave a visual reminder of a time in your life.  Will I get more?  Definitely.  Of what?  I have ideas of a faery (beautiful and dark), or a cherry blossom tree, or my pups paw prints.  Only time will tell what I decide.  Perhaps one day I will be in the position to get full sleeves like I (not-so-secretly) dream about.  For now, I enjoy looking at the art on the people around me, appreciating where their lives have taken them.

How do you feel about tattoos?  What would you get done?




3 Comments:

At November 6, 2009 at 12:36 AM , Anonymous Charlie said...

I like your tattoos but I'm not sure if I'd get one. I change things around in my life a lot, and I also plan on being a high-flying executive economist, which would require looking ultra-conservative.

The one tattoo I think is cool and would consider getting (or something like it) is Angelina Jolie's tattoos of the coordinates of where all her kids were born. Because unlike a spouse, a kid will be yours forever. It's really sweet.

 
At November 6, 2009 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Ashley said...

Love tattoos.

I described the ones I have in my 101 things about be post - I have 4 at the moment and intend to get more - specifically (like the previous commenter said) ones for/about my kids...when I have them

 
At November 7, 2009 at 6:08 AM , Blogger Mrs. Alston said...

I think that tattoos are cool...to an extent! i could never get one though! i'm far to worried about getting something like a beautiful rose, then as time goes on and my body inevitably changes, that it will look like a wilted flower!!

I think its funny that after a life long dream that you're first two tattoos were more spontaneous then anything!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home